Thursday, 19 May 2011

Depping

Due to some knee problems somewhere in West Sussex I have been invited to stand in with Garn at the Sussex Downs Group's 009 Members day in a week. Details on Mr. Campbell's page to your right.
This means I have to panic slightly and get the layout ready.

Tuesday, 17 May 2011

Switch

Being that there are a few half done projects lying about I thought it a good idea to prioritise. Llynfordd needs industrial shunters and if I don't get one of them done I'll end up using the green liveried 03 which while provable is not ideal. The £12 Joueff switcher has be sitting on the window sill for a couple of months and as I'd started trying to de-American-ise it, I thought it best to carry on.
Unfortunately the boxes at the front contain ballast weights so can't be sawn off, but a little reducing of the radiator and exhast stack and enlarging of the roof has been carried out so far, as well as a little window frame didling. The influences are the Barclay 0-6-0s at the Settle Speakman Branch on Sheppey as featured in the January 10 RM.
Handrails to go... now I've ground-off all the moulded ones.

Tuesday, 10 May 2011

Unit 2

Inside support wall and ridge in. The 2mm mounting card ran out so I was forced to rummage in the bin for something else to use...it's what I do best.

Monday, 9 May 2011

A box

The art of the typical. Railway land and mid 1980s - means industrial units and with the last few inches of Llynfordd's boards to cover the last thing to do is build the unit. Quite a few photos have been taken, but I wanted totally boring, not just the exciting front view, but the rear with nothing happening. This was the general model. A bit of brick counting gave the general dimensions:


Most of these units seem to be 2.5 floors high with an outward brick foot of 8' high. So the back wall came out at 180mm x 95mm. Just one single internal push-bar door to relieve the plain wall.






And a lot of jiggling around to get the sides the right length. Three walls up... internals rear and roof to go. My favourite construction of left over 2mm card and Slaters sheet. The alarm is a 2mm phone cabinet left from the Unnycoombe station kit, the light over the door a bit of square sprue. Cost so far; maybe a pound.


Mrs F and I dropped into Gaugemaster on Saturday. She pointed out the similar Skaledale building on the shop layout and raised an eyebrow. I pointed out the £33 price tag... A unit is three quid, thirty three is almost dinner.












Friday, 6 May 2011

Kerr Stuart Plan

After a bit more of a return to 009 this week - more of that later - thoughts turned to the small pile of chassis in the drawer. We had a 60hp Kerr Stuart running on Wood End, it was sold with the layout and as far as I'm aware is still with it. That particular model was a bash using the Meridian kit bonnet, a stretched frame and slightly longer cab to fit over the Bachmann diesel. I read recently that the Meridian bonnet is a bit short so laid a Bachmann chassis over a Wessex mob drawing that I'd found in a folder. Now without checking the bonnet does look longer and the chassis fits into the drawing with a couple of mil to spare; although optically it doesn't look like it here.
Just out of shot is the 90hp version which is about the same size, but without the distinctive bonnet. Could be two diesels comming up.

Thursday, 5 May 2011

Who you gonna call...

Thoughts have turned in recent days to what some would call signature elements to Llynfordd the most important being dating and place. What I've found so far is that it was easier to get information about WR in 1965 for Unnycoombe than it is currently to get the same for S Wales in 1985. You would think that as I was in a cot in 1965 and adult in 1985 that the later would be easier. It was decided that a good way to 'plant' the period would be a couple of posters on the shelter. A contemporary fare dodger one was found, then the thoughts turned to films. Wikipedia gave me not only a list of high selling films of 1984/5 but posters too. A conversation with Mrs. F. concluded that as they were to be shrunk down to 10mm wide that the bolder graphic ones would work better. Back to the Future was rejected as it was mostly text, as were the Harrison Ford epics. The above came top. And I've never even seen it.

Monday, 2 May 2011

Ballast for the thrifty

Usually at this point I get all arty and start making trees and the like. Not here. This is a different beast; it's more like gardening. What I'm aiming for is wasteland. The track was ballasted in the normal manner, laid dry and dilute PVA dropped on via a syringe. It's been done in visually different sections: the 'main line' in reasonably clean magnesium chips knocked down with a little ash, the 'new relaid' crossover in pure magnesium and the exchange siding and head shunt in declining quality weeds and dross. The in between bit below where the track is lifted is a mix of tea leaves, ash and green foam. By the time we get down to where the loco stands at the end of the exchange headshunt it gets really shitty. I've used two types of ash: the first is from my grandfather's apple tree which is a beautiful chocolate colour and running out fast, the other the standard rubbish which is from beech, ash and pallet-wood which is 'orrible grey and lightweight. the below is mainly this and coal dust. Yes I know Class 37s don't use coal, but the result is the dirty-greasy slime that happens at engine stands. This is still drying and needs tidying up yet.

Still not sure about the PECO track.