Monday, 1 May 2017
Like the rest of the AotC project it's a very slow burn build and has hanging about on the desk for months. I occasionally pluck up the courage to do a bit to it. Yesterday was one of those moments. Fitting the window units in was a minor fiddle, but painting them was going to be a nightmare. Not quite as bad as SECR loco lining or something equally MRJ worth, but still. All done now and about the best I can do with shaky hands and a paint brush.
Incidentally, what would be the equivalent colour in the acrylic Humbrol range to GWR coach brown? This is a G*mes W*rksh*p 'scorched brown' which is just about spot on but has nearly run out and is out of the range now.
Friday, 28 April 2017
|Photo: M. Campbell|
Monday, 24 April 2017
Sunday, 23 April 2017
Friday, 21 April 2017
Would there be a pole and how high and how many insulator arms?
Wednesday, 19 April 2017
Tuesday, 18 April 2017
The instructions are the usual exploded diagram and a few scrap shots to back up. There is also a list of instructions 'Add part 1 to part 2' etc. This is all well and good and each part is sensibly numbered on this sheet. However this is where the planning stops as none of the actual bits are numbered on the parts or on the sprues making the whole text instruction completely superfluous. Shame. You are therefore left to identifying the parts off the diagram only. This may have changed on later batches of the kit, but is slowing things down a little here.
Cabin basically done though, and probably time to paint before the card interiors go in and the glazing is added.
Saturday, 15 April 2017
Thursday, 13 April 2017
61" x 47" is too big for the car to get it to him so it needed to be split. It also needed to be robust enough to be dragged around, but light. I decided that a semi-traditional softwood frame would give the strength with an MDF top rather than chipboard. It's a bloody awkward size and needed three 2'x 4' sheets to complete. The softwood is best B&Q banana pine which is still deciding what sort of shape it wants to be. Thus I had to dance about a bit to pick out the best sections for the outer and the worst for the bracing. The two boards will be bolted together with a brace of 6mm roofing bolts at their final destination. The final cost of just the materials being more than the train set...
We'll see how long this curve lasts.
Wednesday, 12 April 2017
Which brings me to a question: Were single line tokens given in at termini, or retained by the crew for the return trip? A simple thing which I should know, but don't.
Friday, 7 April 2017
Tuesday, 28 March 2017
Sunday, 26 March 2017
Saturday, 11 March 2017
Tuesday, 7 February 2017
Saturday, 4 February 2017
I built the chassis parts as directed and put the canopy and supports to one side. A front board was added from a scrap of 30 thou plastic and a set of simple draw-gear made up from plastic strip. A small cast horse was obtained - this is probably Matchbox and probably closer to 3mm, but fits visually against the trolley, whereas the Slaters plastic horse looks huge. After all horses come in more than one size. A bit of paint and all done.
Wednesday, 1 February 2017
Contact me here or via the mag's page for subscription details.
Friday, 27 January 2017
|Ex Swedish railcar runs under NSB ownership on Svanda|
Svanda has built a reputation for 99% reliability and so it was here, mainly due to Nigel's unstinting tweeking beforehand and the quality of the locomotives - not my dubious tracklaying.
It's got one more show in the book, whether that will grow post it's appearance in Continental Modeller this month I don't know. We may have exhausted the South East shows now.