Saturday 18 November 2017

Gaugemaster controllers

Gaugemaster controllers
I'm always a bit sceptical when it comes to guarantees and this was no different. Gaugemaster now state that their controllers are covered by a 'lifetime guarantee'. Is this really correct, and does this mean my lifetime or the controller?
Anyway.

I bought the above from them when they had not long been trading and this was their first feedback machine - very cutting edge at the time, that being around 1987. This particular item was used as a main drive, then used in conjunction with a handheld for many years and is still kept in the exhibition box as a spare. The trouble was that time had not been good to the internal mains cable clamp and it had worked loose leaving the three coloured wires exposed - not PAT friendly when doing shows in council run venues.

Last Sunday I noodled into Gaugemaster (open Sunday...) with said controller and said the above and was it covered? Much sniggering ensued over the age of it; it being older than most of them, but yes it was. They took it away and waved me off. On Wednesday there was a phone message: all done.
I do take the piss out of them from time to time for being expensive and all corporate, but this is rather fine service if you ask me.

7 comments:

  1. I've also sent controllers back under the same warranty and they have always honoured it. Even on the handheld I drilled holes in the top of to keep it cool. It's one of the reasons I always recomend them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chris

    Us Brits tend to be very cynical about the prospect of ever receiving good service, often with very good cause when it comes to some of the big players. Truth is today competition is so cut throat and so many people are trying to scrape a living from small businesses excellent customer service is a really good way of building a reputation and repeat custom.

    Not sure Gaugemaster has too many competitors in the DC field. Good on them for sticking to their principles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you were rather fortunate. I would suggest that after 30 years the failure of the cable sheath was down to fair wear and tear. Obviously it was repairable but I am surprised that Gaugemaster did not make a modest charge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly, but the cable itself was fine - it had just come loose inside. A simple enough job, but meant drilling out the rivets to get the thing apart which would have voided the warranty. So worth an ask.

      Delete
  4. This doesn't surprise me at all, going by several experiences of Gaugemaster's service I've heard of over the years....they always seem to be very helpful.
    Although other places may sell the things we want for less money, at least GM keep stuff in stock.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi all
    I Recently obtained a perfect looking guagemaster series d, and one of my droppers must have shorted across the track blowing the line two section.. I heard it click off as it normally does but this time it won't come back on. Can anyone give any advice. Thank you
    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi all
    I Recently obtained a perfect looking guagemaster series d, and one of my droppers must have shorted across the track blowing the line two section.. I heard it click off as it normally does but this time it won't come back on. Can anyone give any advice. Thank you
    Pete.

    ReplyDelete