Monday 22 August 2022

Saturday Ramble – mojo


 Gradually climbing out of the slump where I really couldn't be arsed to do any modelling. Not that It's been particularly productive in the last week, but there has been some movement both physical, getting stuff out and looking at it. And mental, thinking and talking about getting stuff out. A lot of the reasoning is the fact that I/we lost ten shows due to Covid, and the one  show in Eastbourne aside have have fallen off the train. A long chat with Mr. Hill yesterday considered some of the options. These, in very loose terms, were:

  • The recommencement of Rhiw 2 above which is in kit form with the track down, wired and the principle structures either built of half built.
  • The upgrading of Svanda with more modern materials.
  • The N gauge which is due to return to Beer in the fullness of time pre-Warley.
  • Dury's Gap.
The first is the frontrunner as it is a) new, b) is modelling, c) would provide an excuse to relaunch an exhibition journey post pandemic. Dury's Gap is show-ready, but is really only a one day animal. Svanda is possibly the easiest, but has already done most of the decent shows in the South and so has less drive behind it. The N gauge has no redeeming characteristics on an exhibition level, although in some ways is a fast option.

The logic points toward a three pronged attack; I need some shows in the medium term to aim Rhiw 2 at, with possibly the back up of one-dayers for Dury's Gap. Check and test DG, hustle. There are changes afoot and I need to fire the mojo and create something.

Show the love and buy me a coffee https://www.buymeacoffee.com/chrisford2Q

5 comments:

  1. How about option 5, a TT version of Rhiw 2? Possibly using the same baseboard to show how TT can exploit space, and to look at alternative ways of doing things in a minority scale?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cracking idea, but I would refer to my comments to certain Beer people when the TT:120 first came to my attention a few months ago: 'what the bloody hell will you run on it?' A Class 31 (@£200) is nice, but how many and what else? Between you and me I think it will be a while before the new scale (to the UK anyway) will gain enough traction, in both senses of the word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you are going to build foreign, TT is possible and would win you more exhibition invites. Obviously, not being made of Spitfire spare parts and melted down models of Winston Churchill would mean you'd be shunned at those same shows... As for British TT, you are spot on IMHO for the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And again, Google makes my first comment anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is odd that even when Phil is anonymous you can still identify his comments! I think my view of TT:120 is biased because my return to OO9 was built on Shapeways. I get the distinct feeling the target audience is one happy to embrace 3D printing in combination with commercial underpinnings.

    One thing I really don't understand is why Peco haven't launched the same building kits in other scales, I think they would be massive sellers.

    ReplyDelete