Saturday 13 August 2022

Saturday Ramble


 

Yes, a flurry of activity.

To say that I'd learnt nothing in the last couple of years pushing commas around would be inaccurate. That's not really applicable here and there has been a posting drop off of late as explained earlier. The return in the last few days has thrown up questions as always: why do I do this? More to the point why do people read it? And yet they do... or, you are. An unscientific survey a while back found that I was getting roughly the same hit rate as some of the big boys. A lot of this is down to this page being included on the links of some of the major modelling types and my thanks to them for that, but the views must be largely returning readers. What am I getting from it?

The answer is that I don't really know. Ego? Of course; anyone that writes and denies that is a fool and a liar, but it's more than that. Continuing something that I started over a decade ago? A platform for opinions? To a certain extent there is a certain amount of navel gazing (as here) but it is more about entertainment for me and the reader with a touch of hints 'n' tips thrown into the mix. I know this as I have had more than a fair few people chat to me at a show and say something like  'I always read the blog.' or 'I love the Saturday Rambles.' I conclude then that this is entertainment pure and simple.

Revenue: some would say a dirty word, and yet, a fair days work and all that.  There have been periods of advertising on here with little effect as the number of 'clicks' needed are greater than are generated by you the reader, and of course the system is swayed disproportionately in favour of the platform host, not the content creator. However I may try this again. The Buy-me-a coffee' route may be worth examining though. I notice that Mr. Nevard does this (link to your right) but haven't enquired to the results. Basically you drop me a couple of quid via a third party as a thanks for the entertainment... it's  a digital tip-jar-on-the-piano. I like this idea, but would you?

Onward though and there may well be significantly more happening here partly due to some not unrelated changes to life in general.

1 comment:

  1. I wouldn't say it was navel gazing, but writing a blog can hep you clarify the thinking process, as James Hilton has shown.

    ReplyDelete