Tuesday 9 April 2024

Saturday Ramble: The last 009 in the shop.


 This may be a quite momentous post, or one that time will reveal to be a complete waste of internet paper. And, as various internet memes are so fond of advising - don't overshare. Though as I've been doing just that here for well over a decade, it seems churlish to reverse at this juncture. Birthdays and new years are often points to reflect about what has gone before and what we hope may happen in the future. This can take many forms and I started noodling about this in a post earlier in the year, followed by the both contentious and popular post on Swedish Death Cleaning. This later point is well underway and I have thrown no small amount of stuff into the recycling bin and into the landfill, some of which has not gone down too well in certain corners. Apparently you cannot rip books up and recycle as you would a newspaper. Though why this should be so baffles me... it's just paper. I'd reduced all the magazines down to file pockets/ ring files some time back and now I am re-sifting through these again, though this is slow going. If that is the backward look then the forward look is also effectively backward. The photo is a hint at that and is of course a length of 44 x 18mm batten screwed to a wall. The anaglypta paper is the old dodge to cover a less than flat wall which may well be the original  plastering carried out by Stevie Wonder; the floor is my next problem. This suggests permanence though regulars will note that I have been here before and there is still much to decide, though I find that I get more done by starting something than over-planning. Much of the thinking here is influenced by that very common emotion of looking back at childhood. I for one find the older lady/teddy bear fixation  (a-la the Repair Shop) somewhat puke inducing though I am certain that the equivalent male and Tri-ang/HD is just as bad if not worse. It is this mindset that I find myself leaning. Not exclusively I may add, and there are other factors at play, but this is definitely a direction of travel.

Returning to the backward look; any 009 that I have is now effectively up for grabs especially post the first week of June. All of it. Anything that you've seen here that I still have is on offer including the arm-twist layout Seething. I may put a list up on here should anyone be interested. Contact via the profile page should you have questions. 

And to the army of visitors from the Chinese government, 欢迎 

2 comments:

  1. You know this time next year you will be back to OO9, don't you? I'm returning to N gauge after 40 years away....

    And yes a list would be of interest because I have two more bucket list OO9 projects to complete. One is simply a new iteration of an old layout but in more space, the other a bit of a historic throwback

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've a feeling that a lot of railway books are going to end up pulped or whatever, certainly there are many which sit on the shelves of second hand bookshops and never move. As for filleting them, why not? The value of many has gone through the floor in recent years, and at least the bits you keep will be of use. Most (though not quite all) of my remaining 009 will be boxed up and disposed of via the Society, and I suspect a lot of the narrow gauge books will go, as well. There's a lot of other stuff, too, though my motivation is slightly different as I've decided I fancy filling the workshop (when I get it) with Teutonic H0.

    ReplyDelete