Monday 2 September 2024

Drover's Brook. A plan.

So here's a funny thing. When does a plan start as a plan, then get discarded, then expanded, then shrunk again? Here of course. This may be Drover's Brook. The quick of brain and sharp of eye will notice that there is much here that is classic CF. It's a BLT, it's four points laid out a la Ahearn's Gammon End and it's a foot wide (the metre rule marking the rear edge).

This is/was the first in the new five year plan/Project 70 thing. Then it got pulled up to 7'6", then I thought better of it and started thinking in circles. Now back to square one with an anti-AotC 6 x 1 plan which breaks not one boundary nor any expectations. Or does it?  It's front op'...pause while I get reminded about my experience with Rhiw Mk1. This though ain't an exhibition piece, it's a home layout that could be taken to a low-stress show (I'm thinking the WRG event or even the recently visited Bredgar show). Much to certain people's dismay, the slide switches will be on top and front as with Dury's Gap and could be accessed by reaching over in show mode. There are some who get apoplectic about this sort of thing, but quite frankly, I couldn't give a toss. If you can't recognise the concept of an electric toy train set then your problems are far worse than my slide switches.

The main positive with all of this is that over 90% of the materials can be drawn from stock and will clear some space in the cupboard. A sheet and a half of MDF and some scraps, the buildings and points were in a box and the couple that need doing are in stock. The track came out of one of those Peco card track boxes from retailers. I just upended it and this is what came out - a mix of Bullhead and 75 which can be mixed as with Dury's Gap. The only thing that I may be short of is a little picket fencing. In a nutshell: SR (ex light railway) BLT, 6 x 1, to fit the new FY, front op'. To go on the low trestles. If I pushed hard I could get it done before panto. 

Worth a run at?
 

2 comments:

  1. Is the short siding at the far end for a loco shed or just coal/water?
    I like the long/narrow approach, reminds me of several real locations, eg: Lee-on-Solent.
    Schinkendorf is basically the same plan with different proportions of siding lengths and the railbus platform at one end, mostly due to the narrowness of the RUB dimensioned baseboards.
    Which reminds me, I need to sneak off to the garage and play trains...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coal merchant's siding. Nearer is end load and general goods.

      Delete