Sunday 1 September 2024

Quick rod


The ground frame and waving 2nd man was present on Rhiw Mk 1 and has since re-appeared on the Mk2. On both versions without any exiting rodding for the point and the FPL. I'm sure that there would be various proto-guidelines for the operation of the crossover, but despite all the comment over a decade or so on both versions existence, no one has mentioned it. This backs up the theory that modellers as a breed are fairly blinkered and see what they want to see and that the niceties of safety and actual proto operation are comfortably ignored. Anyway...
Not wanting to cough up for the commercial point rodding items which look too thick to me and stand out too much, I elected to just hint at the existence of the linkage with some lengths of rod and some plastic strip for the upstand rollers. This I'm fully aware is a long way from looking like the real thing, but simply suggests. Likewise, the already suggested FPL was in place on the Peco point. Tiny details, but who adds FPLs to points? Only the P4 bods I would imagine. There's that comfortable blinker again.
The upshot of all this is that I can announce that I've actually done some modelling; the first for a couple of months and the first for me for longer. There are two more small jobs to do in the same area on the layout. Hang on to your hats, I'm on a roll now.



 

1 comment:

  1. Visiting Crewe Heritage Centre over the Bank Holiday I noticed they have a simple GF outside the old Exeter box, with the rodding, tie bar and FPL helpfully highlighted in blue . Unfortunately it isn't to get a photo of it though.

    ReplyDelete