Saturday 14 September 2024

Jinty time

 


You didn't see this coming.

Amongst all the clearing up and out came this form the kits box. It's been there for a while and it was intended to use the the body for a Ted Polet type conversion to 009. This didn't happen and I didn't even try running it. It was absolutely filthy and appeared to be electrically dead.  The body came off and I dumped it in a some warm soapy water and attacked it with a toothbrush (she'll never find out). This was quite successful and some power was applied to the motor. It runs! 

Disassembly located the broken wire to the pick ups. I took the whole thing apart, cleaned the armature and brushes, removed the suppressor, and replaced the broken wire and the pick ups. The wheels were cleaned with a fibre brush and the whole lot put back together and lubed. It's probably 65 years old and it now purrs along. It also looks a lot better than some of the similar Ebay offerings and is now up for grabs.


3 comments:

  1. That brings back some memories...I had one with the early crest (No.47606?), bought second hand a little while after the Dock Authority Shunter that was the first loco I bought for myself, probably in about 1975 or so.
    I remember taking the body off at some point, partly to clean the loco, but mostly to see what was under there.
    The accumulation of fluff and hair around the rear coupling on your photo is exactly how I remember mine looking, so I guess they all do that! I probably pinched Mum's tweezers to pull all the crud out, thus magically restoring smooth(?) running.
    Looking back, I learned quite a bit from both the Jinty and the Dock Authority Shunter; both were relatively easy to dismantle and (on a good day) reassemble successfully without breaking or losing anything vital.
    Later fiddling with my brand new GWR 101, which had a mostly plastic chassis, may not have had such happy results...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judging by the chassis and motor this is Tri-ang T90 "TT3" Jinty. I agree that the "OO9" bash (using one and a bit of these bodies) by Ted Polet is attractive.

    CP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that motor looked unfamiliar! Looking at the crest, I wonder whether Tri-ang used a transfer from their 00 range, as it seems rather large.

      Delete