Saturday 26 October 2024

Saturday Ramble

 


I rather like doing these. None of your soft Welsh plastic - proper Airfix is the only way for 108s; they still stand up half a century after they were designed. This is the second of a trio of condemned 16Ts for Rhiw 2 with the white hand scrawled COND lettering to do. If I remember, the third will have a welded top door and side plate weld marks.

The remarkably successful Uckfield show, which unusually didn't not have me saying never again at the close. Remarkable also it being a two day show. Technically that be it. There is nothing in the book now save a couple of unfirmed enquiries, which ties nicely up with me mooting that that would be it. I may be softening a little after last weekend, but I'm reminded that this did not involve a long drive, a super early rise and was a relatively easy get-in.  Now what? 

As predicted, there are less shows post Covid and those that are still strong are subtly changed with many of the familiar faces quietly absent. This throws up all sorts of questions of the what if and why bother variety. There is also the every present age question. I've basically called it a day with 4mm narrow gauge; the reasons for this are two-fold: the first is the age/size/reliability aspect, the second is the steady rise of quality RTR in 009. I note that even some of the previously pure high-quality exhibition layouts have fallen into the 'easy RTR' trap with the equivalent of a Cornish branch running J15s. Yes I am old school and a bit wedded to the whitemetal kit or build it yourself mentality, not build a FR layout and run L&B coaches on it (see last month's RM piece on forcing the loading gauge down so this couldn't happen). The direction is for the minute, standard gauge and 4mm, with 7mm on the horizon for me. With three initial projects and more to follow. This is very much a tight budget way of thinking, hell-bent of only using what is in the cupboard and only purchasing to fill critical gaps in material. The 7mm may take a couple of unexpected turns, but that is the way it's headed, and this all comes under the Project 70 banner; something I had to explain the other day (!). There are two layouts on the circuit, I can take my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment