Monday 5 March 2012

Tal-coed 009 building

There's been not a lot happening here over the last few days, but that doesn't mean that it's been quiet. First up, the girder bridge. Once again sticking to the 'Wills only' ideal this is the occupation bridge kit. This again falls into the ' if I wanted to go there, I wouldn't start from here' conclusion. It needed to be lifted by 8mm (courtesy of a bit of bridge kit from Nigel's scrap box) and narrowed. Which is where it all went wrong. The girders are from three pieces which need to be cut down equally at each end and stuck together. It would have been ten times easier to build them from plastic sheet. Upshot was that I buggered the whole thing up badly and there isn't a straight line on it - a bit like the Hornby bus shelter. Still I wasn't going to shell out another £4.25 so I painted it, topped the whole thing with coffee stirrers nicked from Costa and... well there we are.

And onto the layout proper. My usual white poster paint wouldn't stick to the hardboard and when the white emulsion came out of the shed to substitute, Mrs. F. decided that this was 'decorating' and stopped practicing her air-rifle work on next door's bird table and insisted on painting the backscene while I placated the community police officer.

The ground formers are obviously cardboard box packed out with screwed up bits of Mrs. F's What Broomstick and covered with heavy duty paper towels.
On different note, I feel I must apologise for the photo in RM this month. They left my prison numbers off the bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment