Wednesday 1 July 2020

Build your own shake the box kit

Southern Railway CCT


As a side project - which means it just sits on the bench for several weeks - I'm building a Parkside 4mm Southern CCT. I knocked one of these up for the book to your right. It's not a highly detailed kit, but will take as much polishing as you want, i.e. you can add a little extra peripheral brake rigging or you could go the whole hog with all the push rods. This time I've altered the build sequence. Beforehand the standard build-paint-decals routine was employed. This time I've taken the same idea as American shake-the-box kits do and I'm working the sides up with glazing and adding the decals on first before the body goes together. Whether this will be an improvement is yet to be seen.

3 comments:

  1. Parkside do this on 3mm too, building one in progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hit me up with a photo or two when it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must be easier to add glazing and the such when the thing is i " in the flat" so to speak. Shame about the loss of those famous blue boxes!
    Andrew Knights

    ReplyDelete