Saturday 6 February 2021

Rhiw Bridge


 The skew bridge for Rhiw 2 was delivered yesterday in a Covid-compliant fashion. Built by Mr. Hill largely out of left-overs from Hopwood and Oake and is inspired by the bridge(s) at Bolton from a Kevin Lane photo here . There are advertising boards made which are yet to be fitted. This is a big push for the project as it frames the RH end of the layout and gives a marker for the other retaining walls to be built to. The next issue is the signal box which will definitely not be the clichéd Ratio Saxby and Farmer.


I heard within the hour that Peter Bossom has left us. I have no details to how, but this is very saddening. Peter was a giant on the exhibition circuit, always enthusiastic and ready for some sharp witted banter and a great ambassador for railway modelling, especially 3mm scale where he was one of the pillars of the scale and the 3mm Society. A great friend. I liked him a lot. 




1 comment:

  1. The bridge looks good...suitably massive!
    So sad to hear that Peter has gone...he's someone I've seen at shows with his various 3mm layouts since I was in my teens. Pallingham Quay was the probably the first 3mm layout I ever saw, either at a Bexhill or Eastbourne Model Railway exhibition.
    I'm just reading the article about it in "Model Railways" (Dec 1982) though I remember Peter saying he sold it on but wishing he'd kept it.
    Ad well as an ambassador for 3mm scale, I always felt he captured the atmosphere of the railway in our little bit of East Sussex beautifully, be it in SR or BR(S) days.
    I remember often meeting him when I lived and worked in Bexhill, a friendly natter always ensued, usually about railway matters.
    Like you I will really miss him,
    Simon.




    ReplyDelete