Monday 22 March 2021

Hattons P Cass


In an effort to restore some of the missing mojo that I talked about on Saturday I thought a spot of stock upgrading for Dury's Gap was the way forward.
I'd painted a Wills P for the local model shop a few years back and had one on the purchase list, then the Hattons RTR item came out for the same money as the wheels, gears and motor. Quite honestly, it's pretty hard to beat, but was highly shiny and nothing like the finish of a late 50s P.  Once I started painting it I realised that there was even more detail than I'd first though with a layers of pipework all in place. The downside, as with all newer RTR, is that most of this is scale and will fall/knock off if you get within 500 yards. The lamp irons are a particular  problem and I may upgrade to a hole and a staple at some point. The lamp isn't so much a detail as a reinforcing tool.
I tried some photos with a tripod and lights, but for some reason this quick snap with just the room light captures the filth better.




 

3 comments:

  1. That looks vastly better...I wonder how many purchasers of the current crop of RTR fight shy of weathering them, especially to this degree?
    To some extent, the reason why the green Heljan 05 and 26 are still in their boxes and likely to remain so is that I'm very conscious of the many little protruding bits.
    I guess if you've taken something with less detail and added it yourself you will be less worried if repairs become necessary and likely to have made them more robust in the first place.
    You've certainly transformed the P from a very nice "detailed scale model for adult collectors" into something with soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great. In a recent DOGA e mail someone else mentioned the proclivities of modern models to continuously maoult small detail mouldings. My Bachmann 2EPBs often do. At first I used to put them in a bag with the stock at the end of a show. As I never managed to replace them, couldn't see where they came from and no one else pointed out that so and so was missing, I just threw them away. This is the problem we now have. These items cost money to design, fit, and are probably necessary to a few modellers and even more collectors. I would be happier if such bits were included in the bag (akin to Roco where most second hand purchases still have the sprues in the box) to be fitted if you need to/want to.
    Maybe that is just me!

    Andrew Knights AKA Unkown

    ReplyDelete
  3. Firstly, so much better - now looks real! Secondly, you're so right Andrew. This move towards "absolute scale fidelity"(and consequent astronomic prices) must be aimed at box-collectors. From an average viewing distance of say 2ft the simple and tough models of the 60s and 70s, moulded-on handrails and all, would still look fine to most people, as you correctly point out. That elusive quality, atmosphere, is worth more than a thousand fragile and loose plastic bits.

    ReplyDelete