Saturday 13 March 2021

Saturday Ramble - to bin or not to bin?



I'm having another sort out and reorganisation of stuff. There's a box marked GWR EX and another without the suffix in the cupboard. These contain the stock and associated bits from the Art of Compromise build and things that I did for the GWR book. I worked my way though the boxes last night to ascertain the running qualities and all was well. I'm unlikely to build the AotC again; at least not in its standard form anyway. So what to do with it all?  Here are the options:

  1. Put it all in a bag, hold my nose and put it out for the bin man.
  2. Flog it (I'm never very good at this).
  3. Use it for something else.
Don't think that number one is not a consideration - I've done similar before much to the horror of some people. I really can't be doing with hanging on to £2k worth of modelling stuff for the sake of it like a few I know. If it's got no further use for the medium term, then I'll dump it. There are exceptions of course. I have a small stash of American stuff; enough for a small switching layout, which would be hard to replace especially at anything like the prices that I paid for it even allowing for inflation. But pannier tanks? There will always be pannier tanks. I even found myself drooling over the new Model Rail 16XX this week and making quiet enquires to its quality.

The third way is worth pondering. In total we are talking a possible half a dozen locos and about 20 wagons. Could this form a small sub-project. Most are lettered for a late 1930s period and most (but not all) could have survived in some form into the 1950s at least. Would it be worth a small undertaking of a repaint/renumber/redetail? In other words draw them into the transition period BR stock used for Dury's Gap?

 Or should I just put them out in a black bag?

6 comments:

  1. Given that you're a serial builder of layouts this won't be the last time you have this decision. Equally, given that you are a serial builder of layouts there will be future occasions when you need to acquire the stuff for a new project. James Hilton is a similar kind of modeller and you are obviously not the only ones with this approach.

    I also agree that selling stuff can be quite a faff.

    RM.Web isn't great but do they have for-sale topics? Also, what about floating the idea of a library of currently unused and unwanted stock that modellers can borrow from, use or adapt for their current project, and then return when they move on to something else. Maybe each borrow comes with a small fee to cover postage and to help make sure the library doesn't become full of dross.

    That seems better than throwing away stuff that still has a use for someone, the faff of trying to sell stuff, and reduces the start-up costs when people take on a new project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NB. To stop people just using it to acquire stuff on the cheap, maybe limit the loan to three months renewable up to four times, like you get with library books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, if you want to chuck them out, you can always put my name and address on the boxes, and I'll pay shipping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chris.

    What are you going to get rid of? Give us a list and maybe there might be home for them amongst your followers. Too much plastic in landfill already.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Or when the charity shops re-open, hopefully soon, they love model railway stuff and it's a brilliant way of recycling stuff you don't need. Alternatively, when groups are able to start meeting again outside, we can all bring along unloved stuff and do a swap shop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in the hang on to it camp - because I'm always raiding my stores for stuff for a project. Panier Tank? Did one for a mag years ago. Just dug it out to use for photos with some GWR coaches. If I'd binned it, I'd have nothing appropriate to haul them with.

    ReplyDelete