Thursday 4 November 2021

Coal merchant's lorry in N gauge


One of the requirements for Half Acre was a coal lorry for the yard. I searched the ranges of Oxford et al, but nothing suitable for a middle weight trader's vehicle of around 4-8 ton. Almost at the last knockings of last weekend's Eastbourne show I spotted this cheap Chinese plasticy item, which I picked up for £2. The box on the back came off easily enough, but it was a little too leggy for what was in my head. A slice with a razor saw, a new cab sheet from 2mm Slater's planking sheet and some planks scribed into the floor brought it a little closer to what I wanted. Touching the edges in with some red paint and topping it with a part load of Ratio N gauge sacks and some grey washes turned it into a Commer/Bedford-esque post-war workaday machine.
Needless to say I get more fun out of this sort of thing than any new 200 quid Bachmann RTR loco...




 

2 comments:

  1. Most of us do! That looks really good. Hard to believe it's N gauge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I echo Les' comment here. It does look good, and kit bashing is a great way into the hobby, or is it one of its own? I wonder

    Andrew K (Anon)

    ReplyDelete