Monday 14 November 2022

Tolworth


This was all a little last minute. A good day, but a feeling of ... meh... at the end. Nothing wrong: some excellent modelling and a useful spread of traders, though somehow lacking a bit of zing. Points worth mentioning: Gas Lane, O gauge, compact and very buildable. Oldshaw, very nicely done, but a little under operated at times. Wandleford, now with straight bridge and less organ bass pedals, very intense and inventive as usual from AWK. Grindley Brook, O gauge as it should be done.

The cafe front of house was now turned into the exhibitor's lounge; teas and light stuff was served in the studio. OK, but not enough for lunch and despite rumours to the contrary, the cafe two doors down was open. I can't understand why people don't make the effort to walk 50 yards for this as we had it almost exclusively. For £7.50 you can get the full heart attack on a plate (see below, note this is the baseline serving). 

The scores:

Show 7.5

Rucksacks 1

Trade 7.5

Catering in 4 , out 10.

Parking  (on street) 5










 

3 comments:

  1. You must have caught one of our busy periods! Lots on interest and wry smiles when towards the end of Sunday the Tri Ang EMU made its appearance. Comment "Shame you haven't left on the milled wheels!"
    Andrew Knights

    ReplyDelete
  2. A shame I couldn't make it...I'd particularly have liked to see Oldshaw and Wandleford. I guess the first photo is Gas Lane...very much reminds me of something Peter Bossom might have built, albeit rather bigger! Ah well, hopefully I'll be OK for the Ashford 180 event (2 separate exhibitions and other stuff) next weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember this being one of "the" shows. Now I think about it, there might have been a romantic interest involved, but that was a long time ago. I honestly think exhibitions are struggling to find the sweet spot post-Covid. Is it because operators are out of practice, or is it that many have focused on lockdown projects for home use rather than reinvigorating the exhibition scene? Are we seeing over demand from visitors that make it hard to meet everyone's expectations and to plan for future shows?

    Wandering around the recent Spalding show I did start to question why I go to exhibitions. Not in a negative sense, I should add. The simplest answer I could come up with is to expand my horizons and learn from real world examples. An example of the latter is that I long held out against using kadees until I relaised in an exhibition hall they were all but invisible.

    ReplyDelete