Friday 13 January 2023

January Blues


 Well, did you miss me? OK, don't answer that. With Daisy the cow retreating into the distance and the cold damp and dark reality of January weather upon us, I can sit back and do some modelling... except I haven't and I'm not. A combination of factors is at fault; momentum being one, not having Young Craig breathing down my neck is another and I've buried myself in other things. One of which is reassessing why I do this and what I want to achieve. Not surprisingly this is becoming age influenced and includes the shake down of first being long term self-employed, then employed for two years and finally the escape from a regular wage. This is all far too much for a bear of little brain to take in at once and there will be a hopefully short period of adjustment while I work out a direction of travel.

The above may be the only completed item since last I wrote here and is the long awaited 40+ year old Nu-Cast LBSCR Open A. Looking at this now I feel that the supplied sheet rail is not up to standard and should be replaced. The transfers are not perfect despite following the Modelmaster instructions of applying to a shiny surface and then coating with matt varnish. I can live with it. I now have two SR liveried wagons done with a third on the bench. Where this is going, I have no idea.


If you've enjoyed this ramble, show the love. https://www.buymeacoffee.com/chrisford2Q

3 comments:

  1. Yes I did...so there!
    I hardly did any modelling in the summer/autumn last year but seem to have picked it up again, and only partly because I had ten days or so over Christmas with a bit more modelling time than usual, which coincided with the realisation that I have 2 months to get the 009 layout finished in time for Steyning. That wagon's come out nicely; I suppose one thing you could do is have an alternative set of stock (and, therefore, era) for Jury's Gap. I see what you mean about the sheet rail though they did get dinged and bent sometimes. My EM 1930s noodling is on hold for the moment, though there's something very attractive about all those wagons with large initials on the sides. I suppose when you think about it, that era was a similar distance in time from when we started modelling as the early part of the blue diesel era is from now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi and welcome back. I had assumed you were fully involved with two person horses or cows! Current things do make one ask which IS the "real world".
    Preparations for Steyning, now both halls, and the death knell of the MaP are in hand... mostly. The wagon looks good if a little pristine- ex Lancing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I forgot your machines inclination to disguise me... the above Andrew Knights

    ReplyDelete