Thursday 3 June 2010

Track for Rhiw

Basic track-laying.
I haven't used standard Peco 16.5 track for a long, long time. I um'd and ahh'd about how to approach this for quite a while; what track gauge. Handbuilt? Finescale? In the end it came down to a mix of practicalities and economics.

 I had some Peco track and points in the loft that came from an American layout that I built mid 90s. So it seemed daft not to use what I had, and daft to spend the extra time and money on hand-built when the stock I'm using is designed for use with commercial track.

So to start with I thought to put a single line through the fiddle yard after working out previously the maximum train length which would be 29" (Class 37 and 3x VDAs). This is quite tight and means I had to use the small Y and small radius point. The LH end is copperclad sleepers glued and pinned with short lengths of code 100 rail. This way I'm not relying on the Peco plastic to hold the rail at the baseboard edge; and it's adjustable.

I'm struck by how chunky and forgiving this all is compared to the code 60 or 80 with the 009.

No comments:

Post a Comment