Sunday 9 January 2022

Wagon axleboxes



This is always just one step from abandonment, but I carry on and spit in the face of danger. Axleboxes and strapping complete. I got quite deft with the latter towards the end: smear of glue, place whole strip, wait 10 seconds, trim to length and shape the ends with a knife. It's not precise - I know those who would measure each part, I just checked against the photos that I now have (thanks to all who pinged me stuff) and got something similar. As always, each wagon illustrated is slightly different with variance in strapping and framing.

The axleboxes were fun. ABS castings for LBSCR items that I've had in the drawer for near on forty years. They now have a use and are near enough to make no difference. They were complete with cast W-irons so it took quite a bit of time reducing the metal and the front to back depth and enlarging the axle hole to fit over the bearing. I first fettled to fit over the fixed W-irons and then adjusted over the rocking pair to allow the compensation to work. The whole lot rolls beautifully through the Peco 75 small rads on Dury's Gap without any tweaking. Onward to the ends.

1 comment:

  1. Better and better...thinking back, I'm fairly sure that the brass strapping was one of the reasons why my kit was never finished and I reckon the Kenline looks fine, as do the axleboxes...better on a wagon than back in a drawer!
    Sent you an email about the axleboxes and other stuff.
    I'd forgotten that the wagon is compensated; looked at the photo in your last post and those holes in the floor remind me of my abortive build. I think mine all folded up fine, though I suppose some would moan that it limits brake gear choice, pleased to hear yours runs nicely.
    Ends...one of the pics shows a wagon with one LSWR and one RCH buffer body; ideal for when you find you only have three buffers of the same type!

    ReplyDelete