Friday 7 January 2022

Rescuing a brass kit


 The possible 2022 project two (keeping up at the back?). It's a semi basket case and has been at the bottom of the box for decades. The prototype is an LSWR Dia 1410 10T van which can be seen here though this is marked Dia 1406 which doesn't seem to exist even in its own reference. Looks like a 1410 to me. The kit is a Chivers RC150 which I assume is out of production and anyway has been ousted by the Cambrian plastic kit of the same... well that's what the internet do tell me.

The issue is that what you see is what there is. No more parts, no instructions. Working upwards: the bearings are easy, I have some LBSCR axleboxes which are close and the single shoe brake I can bodge. Buffers... tick. Framing: quite a bit missing and is 1mm wide with rivets. I'm thinking either some Kenline plastic in places and some 5 thou bodging in others. Wire for the handle and I may have a brass roof part.

What could be easier?

The livery is a scratch of the head. Assuming I can finish it, SR brown? Or, as the Bluebell page suggests it ran until 1955 in normal service before departmental use. This seems unlikely with the single shoe, but that's what it says. In which case it will just scrape into the Dury's Gap timeline of 55-65 in tatty BR grey, though would it have been painted? Decisions. If people have photos...

4 comments:

  1. Must have been prototype like hen's teeth by 55-65. I certainly don't recall seeing anything that old at that timein my travels around West London (although there was on old LSWR road van parked at the end of a siding by the Down platform at Staines Central, which vanished relatively late).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being brass and heavy, I bet it runs well. There's something about brass kits... Look forward to seeing it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blimey...I remember at least partially building one of these some time in the 1980s...I think it was the first time I attempted to use solder paint. There were lots of little bits of very thin etch in odd shapes that were for the plates where the bits of framing met. I've got the whole set of the OPC Southern Wagons books, there are bound to be photos in there, will have a look when I get home.
    S.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Us manly types scratchbuild - https://philsworkbench.blogspot.com/2021/10/scratchbuilt-van.html

    :-)

    ReplyDelete