Thursday 16 March 2023

Dury's Gap running


 In a effort to take stock, I ran a few things around Dury's Gap. All went well and I note that the motive power for this now numbers five; not something that I particularly planed, but a bit of a Topsy situation. It was originally designed to be a 'one-lift'/one day exhibition layout to fit on a table in the same way that its predecessor Morton Stanley had done. The reality is that outside factors meant that it has only appeared twice at local events before the 2020 lockdowns and there is nothing in the book for it in the foreseeable future. Though it is lined up to appear in RM at some point.

This throws up a couple of questions: firstly is it worth retaining it to fulfil its original purpose, or is it past it's sell by date? Secondly, as I quite like it, would it be worth converting it to act as the start-point of a home system?  This would be quite final as it would mean hacking away the box structure and therefore rendering it less exhibitable; or rather, non-exhibitable.

1 comment:

  1. I really like Dury's Gap...you've managed to capture the atmosphere of these little freight only lines perfectly. I'd be inclined to keep it as is for now, then if/when you want to build a larger(?) home system make any necessary alterations. The Brighton Works Terrier looks brilliant with the weathering you've applied; so much so that I very nearly bought the N gauge one that's in my local model shop...

    ReplyDelete