Thursday 24 August 2023

009 fiddle yard


 For the first time ever I remembered to paint the fiddle yard deck before I laid the track. Unless you go to extreme lengths to put up 6' high screens, the yard is always visible and in many cases appears to be more interesting than the layout to exhibition viewers. This is a bodge being the rump of the board that I used for the demo layout for the Welsh book. Now lopped off to 29" x 10" it sits uncomfortably staggered back on the main board. Yes, I could have done a custom board, but hate wasting stuff. In any case there were so many cut-outs and holes I had to resurface it with a bit of hardboard. It's bordered front/back/end with off-cuts of 6mm MDF set at jaunty angles, more to stop stock falling off than for any aesthetic reason. Seen here with one point of a pair down giving a minimum length of road of 16" (more or less the max for the loop) and plenty of room for placing stock/tea etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment