Tuesday 14 November 2023

Tolworth




'Check the ULEZ compliance.' This was a new pre-show trip question. Easy enough, you just punch your reg' number in to the website and you get a yes or no. Interestingly the exit onto the A3 post show was no easier and there seemed to be no drop in traffic whatsoever. Draw your own conclusions.

Tolworth is a regular trip both as exhibitor and punter. Well organised and without glitches. The FOH cafe is limited and we had previously discovered a great 'caff' around the corner which has become part of the day... in fact we went there first. 

I wonder if I have become a little jaded. The layouts were in the med-high bracket, on a par with Farnham a couple of weeks back with a good mix, though low on N and continental, but nothing that truly inspired. I understand that is more about me than the layouts. One complaint (again) was not the quality, but the complete nonchalance  when it came to operation in many cases. The above, being run mainly by junior club members was fast and slick and gave a real lineside feel. On the flip Kensington (two down and essentially doing the same thing) was absolutely stunning, easily the stand-out in modelling terms, but I don't think I saw one train leave or arrive without breaking or derailing. Heartbreaking stuff. If you've put that much effort into the very high class modelling then...?? One thing I did take a closer look at was Roy Hickman's scenic stand which for once wasn't crowded. Old school and reminiscent of Mike Gill's work in RM in the '70s and '80s, but was almost my 'ping' moment. 

Show 8

Parking 6

Rucksacks 4

Catering (off-site) 11.




 

2 comments:

  1. For the first time in as long as I can remember, I didn't go to Tolworth. I'd managed to blag Saturday off and Plan A was, indeed, Tolworth, but the likelihood of disruption in central London and the discovery that the Epping Railway Circle were holding a show a few minutes walk from Theydon Bois tube station (and Stratford is being only half an hour from Ashford via HS1) swayed me.
    A nice little club show in a village hall, there were several layouts that floated my boat...a P4 light railway terminus of the old school, with a K's Terrier and lots of other kitbuilt stock, muted colours and oozing atmosphere, also Seaton in (I think) P4 and a very nice 00 Tube layout made the trip worthwhile. Plenty of other stuff too, and several traders I hadn't seen before. Also bumped into Dakota for the second week running.
    Bargain of the day was a complete, unstarted, 0-16.5 Branchlines "Peacock" kit (the loco that looks like a gasworks engine with slope fronted tanks and no cab) from the club sales stand...for £40!
    Catering was rolls, cakes and tea, and good quality.
    Sadly it was the last one...the exhibition manager explained that the members all felt that it was getting too much, he's one of the youngest, at 75. Glad I made it, for lots of reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we often get bored with some shows that a first time visitor would enjoy. I found that when I first moved to the Fens and started going to new to me shows. Yet this year I even skipped the local Spalding show. Perhaps we raise our expectations about a show we expect to be good.

    I can't help thinking that the standard of operation at exhibitions has gone downhill since lockdown. Perhaps some layyouts just aren't getting out enough for the bugs to be identified and the operators to be on autopilot.

    ReplyDelete