Tuesday 1 October 2019

Hornby H class

Hornby H class
Hornby H classs
I've had my eye on one of these for a while. There was a problem, then they vanished, now they are back on sale.
It took me a while to get used to the quality of new RTR when I came back to a little OO modelling a couple of years back. Like most I now take this super-fine finish and detail for granted. The above is posed on Dury's Gap straight out of the box, but there are of course extra bits to add and even without these, it's frighteningly good. One detail that I noticed, and the photos of the real thing confirm, is that the rear buffers are larger than the front. I can't remember coming across this before. More to the point I don't know why this is the case. Something to do with pull-push working? Perhaps someone more knowledgeable could enlighten me.

It will of course need some weathering. The Brooksbank photo below shows this particular engine in a pretty filthy condition - which is tricky to replicate well.

All this means that with the C, the P and now an H, I now have the nucleus of a small Eastern section layout. It will be a while coming, probably two or three projects into the future, but it is a little closer now. I have idea brewing.

Hornby H class

2 comments:

  1. I was also amazed by the level of detail in RTR models after thirty years out of the hobby. I was also gobsmacked by the prices! Lovely loco.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to use Mars bars as a control guide. In the early 70s a Mars was about 3p, whereas a Triang-Hornby M7 was about eight quid if memory serves. Now the equivalent here is £120 RRP which proportionally looks better value and is much better quality. Mars bars however are half the size for about 70p. Providing they work (and some don't) the value is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete