Wednesday 4 November 2020

Layout destruction


 The current crisis is generating much deep thought on lots of levels for everyone; what's important and what can wait.  I suppose that railway modelling is no different and I, like a lot of people, am revaluating certain things. 

I had begun a layout which was springing from the period of the GWR book (available to your right) and the AotC layout, which may still exist somewhere in Lincolnshire. The basic plotline was to look at the subject in a more 'finescaley' fashion. Me and finescale are not natural bedfellows, but some improvements could be me made by giving the idea more space and by making use of the Peco bullhead track. So far so good and the boards were built and the track went down. Then I got the request to build Hopwood and the layout was stacked neatly in a corner for a while. Then shortly after Hopwood had been shown at Warley, the O gauge project was mentioned... it remained in the corner. Now, some two-plus years later and with the room lightly flooded it ended up in the garage getting in the way.

I took it into the office and gave it a good looking at. I'd moved on. The world had moved on. Did I need another exhibition layout when there may be no exhibitions for a very long time? The answer was quite mixed: yes I do, but my head is thinking more compact and to be honest the bullhead wasn't singing to me. 

The other factor was the idea that while I quite liked Hopwood as a concept, it was a little short, too wide and waaaay too heavy. Taking the basic premise and mixing that with the previous idea for Rhiw (tabs above) and looking at a Rhiw 2 which had been on the board for a while.

This is a very long winded way of saying that I stripped the boards down for materials that could be used for this. And while not a lock-down project (yawn) the materials for this are all in stock.

4 comments:

  1. AotC was packed up and safely in store when I saw it yesterday. It looks like it's coming out for some track weathering again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TBH I thought what you'd done already looked pretty good.

      Delete
  2. Good luck with the new adventure. I always find the initial stages of a new layout exciting. It is having a need to progress beyond the absolute basics that I find harder, without a deadline of some sort. Hope it goes well.

    Andrew K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree with Andrew. Latest layout has the track down and inset, then instead of sensibly getting on with the buildings I've veered off course and started building another loco. No deadlines now. But I'm sure you'll be more focussed.

    ReplyDelete