Tuesday 25 January 2022

Whitemetal LBSCR open wagon



Quick update on 2022 project 3 (basket 2). I thought that trying to get the body 100% square with bits stick to it was a bit fraught, so for belt and braces I went for the full fat compensated waggly underframe to iron the bumps. These are D&S and almost as old as the Nu-cast kit. Carving the kit's axleboxes up to do this took longer than everything else put together. In opposition to that I stayed with the sheet rail that came in the original bag of bits. I'll run with it for the moment.
 

1 comment:

  1. Good idea compensating it...I may well do the same for my Nu-Cast kit, I suspect that hefty whitemetal wagons may benefit from it more than plastic ones, perhaps being less inclined to lurch through pointwork etc.
    The W-irons I have a quantity of are early EMGS pattern, it's a bit of a so-and-so to get the rocking ones working as there's very little clearance between the fixed (to the wagon floor) bit and the (should be) moving bit, this is why my LMS single planker ended up rigid.
    There are photos of round-ended wagons in SR livery in the OPC books, looks like they lasted into the 30s which surprised me somewhat.
    It turns out that my NuCast kit is the coal wagon built by either Hurst Nelson or Pickering in large numbers for both LBSCR and SECR before WW1, again lasting into the 30s.

    ReplyDelete