Sunday 6 November 2022

The best bookshop


 Last Monday was a tidy up day for me at Peco Towers and I was on book review duty. I pondered out loud as to where all these books end up; and believe me they do mount up remarkably quickly. 'Come with me' said young Craig and led me down gas-lit corridors and damp stairwells, beating through the cobwebs, to a dark place that is uninhabited by humans, deep in the bowels of the East Devon geology. 

There, all correctly filed, were 40+ years of review books in countless alleyways of shelves creaking with the weight of information and paper. If an article on a line or locomotive is planned, the required info will be here, not to mention the cross-referencing ability required for positive dating. It's simply the best bookshop you could ever walk into... except you can't.

1 comment:

  1. The nearest bookshop like that is Blackwells in Oxford. Go into the small shop, right to the back, and downstairs into a vast basement bigger than the footprint of the shop. Of course the Bodlian library bookstack runs under half of Oxford, but like Peco isn't open to the public although I once got to go down there. Neither though would be as interesting for railway modelling purposes.

    ReplyDelete